How to Protect Data on Lost or Stolen iPhone
Many times you have heard about iPhone theft and it would make you scared regarding your cherished iPhone. I agree it is a nightmare moment when you have lost your iPhone. But Apple does not leave you alone in this tragedy; they help you track your iPhone, as well as protect your data on lost or stolen device. Yes, it is right.
Well, now the question is that how you can get the Apple assistance in the case if your iPhone is lost or stolen. The following article aims to provide you a detailed information on what you should you do before and after if you lost your iPhone.
What To Do Before You Lose Your iPhone?
To protect yourself from iPhone theft, there is a tool in the iPhone titled Activation Lock that makes an iPhone unusable without the owner’s Apple ID or password. What that means is even when a thief or any third person has your iPhone, they will unable to unlock your iPhone because they don’t know your Apple’s account details and no other account will work in that case.
Furthermore, if you have misplaced your iPhone, you can also wipe it completely by accessing it remotely and it will still be locked down, resulting the iPhone is useless to anyone expect you.
Find My iPhone
On iPhone devices running iOS 7 or later, Activation Lock option has been tied to the feature of “Find My iPhone”. When you turn ON this feature, Activation Lock will be ON. Keep in mind, when you set up a new iPhone device, Find My iPhone is automatically activated but you can check to ensure it’s enabled by following the below steps:
Tap Settings App > iCloud > Find My iPhone. Be sure it is ON (green side button).
Here are some other options you can use them for maximum protection of your beloved iPhone:
- At that screen, you can also find “Send last location” option. Turn it ON for additional security. If your phone battery is critically low, it will share your last location to Apple. So, it is a great thing to do because if your iPhone is lost or stolen and the battery dies, you can track your iPhone by knowing the last location.
- In addition to intricately associating your Apple ID to your iPhone, Find My iPhone also enables you to locate your phone at whatever time, remotely wipe it away, and remotely put it into “Lost Mode” to protect your data.
- Further, you can consider two-factor authentication if you want to keep your iPhone safe from hacking attempts. To do this, you need to enter an additional verification code before signing into Apple ID and iCloud account.
Do not forget to checkout this post: 2018 Upcoming iPhones may be slower than android phones
What To Do After When Your iPhone Is Lost or Stolen
If unfortunately your iPhone has been lost or stolen, all you need to do is to log into Find My iPhone on another Apple device or simply through www.icloud.com/find. If your misplaced iPhone has power and is also connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network then you can easily get the approximate location of the device on a map.
On the other hand, if your iPhone is power Off because the battery has died or it loses its network connections, Find My iPhone will show the last location for 24 hours and after that, you will be unable to know the last location.
So, there are some following things you should do immediately if you confirm that your iPhone is misplaced or even stolen:
Activate Lost Mode: Along with tracking the last location for a misplaced iPhone through Find My iPhone, you should lock your device by activating Lost Mode. By doing this, you will be able to send a message to your misplaced iPhone as well as it will prevent your iPhone from being used. Here’s how you can turn it on:
- Visit iCloud.com or simply access the Find My iPhone app on another Apple device and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Click on “All devices” on the web and choose your missing device in the list. On iOS device, simply tap the missing device.
- On the web, a menu will be shown with the following options; play a sound, erase the phone and enable Lost Mode. Hence, on the Apple device, you need to tap on “Actions” to find out this menu. Then select Lost Mode by tapping it.
- Once you choose it, you will be able to write a message that will be displayed on your misplaced iPhone.
- And then select “Done” to enable the Lost Mode and then activate the option “Notify if found”. Your missing iPhone is now locked and can only be accessed when your Apple ID is entered.
After doing so, your debit/credit cards linked with Apple Pay will be disabled immediately and you will able to erase your data by remotely access your device through Find My iPhone.